A LASER Beam Measurement of early Shrinkage and Expansion of Building Materials: contact-less and with high resolution!
With Schleibingers patented innovation the Schleibinger Shrinkage Cone it is possible to measure the shrinkage or expansion of fluid building materials in the first minutes and hours after addition of water. The expansion of the building material is registered contact-less and very accurate by a laser beam.
To ensure the measured distance correlates with the relative length change of the material a special formed double wall sample container is used. The design of the sample container allows a connection with an external temperature control unit for heating or cooling the sample during the measurement.
The length change is registered with a resolution of < 2 mikron. The measurement values are digitized and stored by the software delivered with the system. In addition, simultaneous recording of the measurement of the temperature and humidity of the environment and the temperature and the weight change of the sampe are possible.
- Fill the fluid building material into the cone-shaped specimen container
- The container is placed under the laser unit.
- the position of the laser unit is adjusted with a adjustment knob on the frame of the device.
- the offset and start of the measurement is done by a mouse click on your computer.
- the measurement data are digitized and stored in the data logger
- The data logger has a network interface and can be integrated into a intranet or lab network.
- Look at a small video to see how it works...
For an angle of 60° the Volume V = 1/9 * pi * h³ . With h = 100mm V = 349 cm3
The following graphic shows measurement results of the cement pastes with different cement fineness:
Measurement and evaluation proposal of early age shrinkage of cement composites using shrinkage-cone
B Kucharczyková, D Kocáb, I Rozsypalová, O Karel, P Misák and T Vymazal
IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, Volume 379, International Conference Building Materials, Products and Technologies 29–31 May 2018, Blansko-Češkovice, Czech Republic
- Effect of nanosilica addition on the fresh properties and shrinkage of mortars with fly ash and superplasticizer
M. Sonebi , E. Garc’a-Taengua , K.M.A. Hossain, J. Khatib, M. Lachemi
Construction and Building Materials, 84. 269 - 276. ISSN 0950-0618
- Early-age behaviour of cement-based self-leveling flooring compounds
B Kucharczykova and D Kocab
Faculty of Civil Engineering, Brno University of Technology, Veveri 331/95, 602 00 Brno,
Construmat 2018, IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering
385 (2018) 012032 doi:10.1088/1757-899X/385/1/012032
- Autogenous shrinkage and time-zero of UHPC determined with the shrinkage cone
C. Mueller and S. Eppers
- Creep, Shrinkage and Durability Mechanics of Concrete and Concrete Structures, Two Volume Set. Dec 2008 , 709 -714
- Effect of the addition of ultrafine cement and short fiber reinforcement on shrinkage, rheological and mechanical properties of Portland cement pastes,
J. Kaufmann, F. Winnefeld, D. Hesselbarth,
Cement and Concrete Composites, Volume 26, Issue 5, July 2004, Pages 541-549, ISSN 0958-9465, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0958-9465(03)00070-2.
- Optimization of Self-Consolidating Pastes Containing Limestone Powder and Chemical Admixtures
J. Kwasny, M. Sonebi, and P.A.M. Basheer, Special Publication
- Appliance for detecting initial expansion and shrinkage behavior of building materials based on contactless measurement of change in filling level of container of fresh material specimens until set
M. Greim, O. Teubert, Patent DE 10046284
- Sören Eppers
Assessing the autogenous shrinkage cracking propensity of concrete by means of the restrained ring test
Die Bewertung der autogenen Schwindrissneigung von Beton mit Hilfe des Ring-Tests
Sören Eppers, Ph.D thesis, TU Dresden, 2010
||better 2 µm
|Volume / height sample container for mortar or paste
||349 cm³ / 100 mm
|Volume / height sample container for concrete
||682 cm³ / 125 mm
||< 1 mW at 670 nm Class 2 according to
DIN EN 60825-1:2008-05 and IEC 60825-1:2015
Changes are reserved for technical progress. DBPa registered.
Scope of Delivery for Order Code S0050
- Shrinkage cone boomstand with LASER
- Mortar cone - specimen container with about 360 ml volume (S0052). Ready for temperature control with a chiller (open circulation).
- Datalogger (S0001) for data recording with network interface and built in WEB server.
- Input for a thermocouple type K (S0027) incl. one set of thermocouple (S0028).
- Input for a combined humidity and temperature sensor including sensor (S0103).
- Input for a data recording of balances type Mettler, Sartorius or Kern incl. a big groundplate (S0030).
- 10 partition foils for the mortar cone (360 ml) (S0053)
- One LASER reflector (S0050)
- Concrete cone - specimen container for fresh concrete with about 700 ml volume (S0053). Ready for temperature control with a chiller (open circulation).
- 10 partition foils for the concrete cone (S00531).